Monday, August 1, 2011

Girls' Empowerment 2011: Reflections


The Girls’ Empowerment camp came to a close with a meal.  The girls and the volunteers got together to make some banku and okra stew.  It was a great time to share, and the bonds that were formed early on in the camp, only became stronger as they laughed, shared, and mostly ate with their hands.  

Girls’ Empowerment Camp 2011 was clearly a success, but beyond the fun and joy of making new friends, how did it affect the girls?  What were their reflections on the camp?   With the volunteers help, I asked, and the girls wrote their responses.

What do the words “Girls’ Empowerment” mean to you? 
 Faustina: “Girls’ Empowerment means a program for girls so that we are doing everything to overcome all the challenges that we will meet.  We the girls can do anything that the boys can do even better.”
Serve and Learn volunteer Astrid Prudent said about Faustina, “Since day one, I’ve been drawn to Faustina, a sweet girl and real grounded, in her life, spirituality and friends.”

Do you feel stronger when you are in a group like the Girls’ Empowerment group? Why?
Jennifer B.: “I feel stronger when I’m at Girls’ Empowerment because it helps me to know more things about girls and women and the future.  It makes me feel happy and love each of these other girls more.”
Astrid: “The thing that sticks out the most about Jen, is she’s so on it, when we do the small table groups, or thinking groups, she’s so creative, and she spends so much time on putting things out creatively.”

What part of Girls’ Empowerment Camp do you enjoy the most? 
Charlotte: “The part of Girls’ Empowerment camp that I enjoy most is the study of family planning.  Why?  I like this because it teaches me to not get pregnant and to know my aim before giving birth.”
Astrid: “Charlotte’s shy, but also very smart, she’s very reality based, and totally helped the group get a different angle.”

If you could invite anyone woman in your life to Girls’ Empowerment camp, who would you invite and why?
Ernestina: “I would bring my friends to Girls’ Empowerment camp because we would feel so happy learning these things together.  We play fun games, but we also learn about business and life.”
Astrid: “Ernestina, has such a sweet shy spirit, but she craves to learn more, she’s hungry for it.”

Is Girls’ Empowerment important to everyone and not just girls? 
Gloria: “Girls’ Empowerment helps girls to have confidence and be strong enough to overcome all life challenges.  So when we include the boys, they will be stronger than we the girls, because they are strong already. We the girls want to challenge or overcome them.  So it is important to girls only, because we want to be strong and challenge all things.”   
Astrid: “Gloria is so young and so smart, without a doubt, the sky’s the limit for Gloria. She’ll accomplish so much.”

How would you describe Girls’ Empowerment camp to your friends and family? 
Paulina:  “I would say, at Girls’ Empowerment Camp we feel free.  We also make things like bracelets and play games, but at Girls’ Empowerment camp we feel free to ask many questions.”
Astrid: Paulina, is a warrior, and totally the leader of the pack, and she’s very respected.  

Tell us about a strong woman in your life, and what she has taught you?
Jennifer W.: “My older sister Isabella.  This woman can run fast and she is the best woman football player I know.  She told me to take part in any activity going on in my school and she also told me to exercise every morning so that I will also be strong like her. But, I think she is so strong because she is brave. ”
Astrid: “Jennifer is like the mother of them all. Everyone has that one friend that everyone looks to for the right way to do things, and she’s that friend.”

No comments:

Post a Comment