Thursday, April 18, 2013

Akwaaba! (some things never get old to hear)


I have been in Ghana for just a few days and nothing is more striking here than the friendliness of the people. Arriving in Humjibre, I was immediately made to feel at home. Between the staff at GHEI and the organization’s countless friends in the community, I have already met so many people who I feel comfortable talking with and am happy to consider my friends.

My first impressions of GHEI showed that it is a well- valued organization that is deeply integrated into the Humjibre community. To me, something that stands out about GHEI is that its core is comprised of local staff who are truly invested in the village. On a tour, I was able to see many of the staff members’ family homes and realize their lifelong relationships to Humjibre. As a Westerner joining the organization, I am thankful for the opportunity to learn from the people here.

Cheif Nana Twum II, Adrian, Myself and some of the Village Elders
 Joining the local community, one of my first activities was to go and meet the chief. Walking into the palace, many of the elders were already seated. I followed the delegation that joined me from GHEI in shaking each of their hands several times before we were then seated to begin. The mission of our visit was to allow the chief to say thank you and goodbye to Adrian and then welcome me to the village as his replacement as GHEI’s Communications Officer.

When a Ghanaian says “you are welcome” they mean it. The chief assured me that my work would be valued in my new position at GHEI and offered my protection in the village. I was even promised that if I ever had any difficulties I could go to their council for help. While we were in a formal setting, I could tell that everybody there was extremely hospitable and this would be an approachable group of people.

These kids would have posed for photos all day given the chance

Feeling so welcomed has had a powerful meaning for me. With the chief’s assurance and faith that has been put in me by everybody that I have met here, I am sure that I will be able to fulfill my role and positively impact GHEI’s program. I have heard before that the people of Ghana are the friendliest in the world, but the people of Humjibre may be the friendliest in Ghana.

Happy and I ran into some of our other staff Saga and Shantie during my village tour

Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment