Thursday, September 19, 2013

Reflections from a Past Coordinator - Christina Briegleb

The following was written by Christina after coming back to visit Humjibre over the summer. 


 Although it had only been 3 years since I was last in Humjibre, during my recent visit in June, I was expecting things to be different. I found, however, the routine of village life to be relatively unchanged. The woman I used to buy boufruit from was still selling at the same spot and at the same time of the day; the shops to buy basic amenities were stocked with the same items and managed by the same people; while walking through the village in the morning to start my daily runs, the same village elders greeted me at their usual spots. Unlike the fast pace and ever changing ways of the city, the slower pace and routines of rural, village life reminded me of the constancy of Humjibre – how it has moved along as it did yesterday and will continue so tomorrow and so on.

While much of village life remained the same, I found GHEI as an organization had grown. The programs had clearer focus, direction and evaluation, and many had expanded outside of Humjibre. GHEI staff had also grown. While not necessarily in numbers or positions, solidarity among the team was stronger. I believe that much of the success and endurance of GHEI comes from its talented and dedicated staff. GHEI has always been a close knit group, a family really, that works together for a common vision for its community. During my short visit, I saw a team who had grown, each individually and also collectively, into a stronger unit who supported each other, laughed together and worked as one. The work of GHEI has never been easy, at times tiring and exhausting, but together the staff help carry the burdens as well as celebrate the successes of the work. Because of this, I believe that the work of GHEI, much like the constancy of Humjibre life, will continue to make a positive impact on the community for many years to come.


To get to re-visit such a special place as Humjibre, and to re-connect with such incredible people from GHEI, reminded me how honored I am to have been part of this community and team, and to get to witness again in-person the continuing success, commitment and growth of GHEI. 



Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment